[RFC] DaVinci patch submission rules

Kevin Hilman khilman at mvista.com
Thu Mar 20 21:10:00 CST 2008

Dirk Behme <dirk.behme at googlemail.com> writes:

> While discussing with Michael [1] we found that DaVinci patch
> submission rules are not written down somewhere.
>
> So I did it:
>
> http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php?title=Patch_upstream_sending
>
> Most of this is stolen from rules on OMAP list ;)
>
> Opinions?

Dirk,

Many thanks for the work on the Wiki.  It is great to have this
written down.

The procedure could use a little update though for the world of git.
Most of this stuff was written down and evolved before git.  These
days, using git correctly can automate and/or elminate many of these
steps.

Basically, sections 3 and 4 of the Git User's Manual[2] cover the
basics on to use git to development, and to format/submit patches via
email.  The kernel specifics are not mentioned here, and I think there
is a need for a basic document like the user's manual which adds the
linux kernel specifics (like checkpatch, adding signoffs etc.) which
git can also help with.

Until me or someone gets around to writing this, the next best thing
is the Everyday GIT[3] document.

The other problem I have is that not all patches should necessarily
have the 'ARM: DaVinci:" prefix.  Only core code should have this,
which is basically everything under arch/arm/mach-davinci or
include/asm-arm/arch-davinci.  Other drivers should have a prefix for
the subsystem.  For example, if it's a patch to the MMC driver for
davinci, it should look like: 'MMC: DaVinci: <short summary>' etc.

Also note that I did a minor update to change 'ARM: DAVINCI' to
'ARM: DaVinci' which is what I prefer.

Thanks again,

Kevin

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html