Davinci ASoC support (patch)

Bernard Blackham bernard at largestprime.net
Wed Mar 26 19:50:16 CST 2008

Behme wrote:

> While searching something different, I just found
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg12535.html
>
> As I'm not subscribed to alsa-devel, I don't have the original post.
> Maybe any of the authors can post it do this list as well?
>
> The patch mainly applies to our git. I fixed two small rejects in
> Kconfig and Makefile as the patch is for newer kernel than our git.
> Untested patch against our git in attachment. Anybody likes to test?

Well, I tried compiling it and it failed to build. It appears that it's
built on a set of patches for Davinci posted to LAK, including this
completely revamped EDMA support[1]:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg47450.html

So I had to change a few definitions, import a few functions from the new
DMA support and managed to get it compiling and loading, but not yet working
(tried various sample rates and formats):

root at davinci-dvevm:/tst$ aplay test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2152:(snd_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not usable
aplay: set_params:878: Broken configuration for this PCM: no configurations
available

root at davinci-dvevm:/tst$ arecord -r 48000 -f S16_LE
Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2152:(snd_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not usable
arecord: set_params:878: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available

And this is the extent of my knowledge of ALSA - I can continue digging, but
maybe somebody else will beat me to it =) It's looking promising though.

Attached is the patch I have so far that applies against current git. This
is not for going upstream, but just for testing. Notes:
- Apply patch
- Enable SND_SOC, SND_DAVINCI_SOC, SND_DAVINCI_SOC_I2S, SND_DAVINCI_SOC_EVM
and SND_SOC_TLV320AIC3X.
- Make sure CONFIG_I2C_DAVINCI is enabled, but disable the
CONFIG_SENSORS_TLV320* options.
- Build.
- Load the snd-soc-evm module.

Bernard.

[1] These patches appear to have gone absolutely nowhere beyond that list. I
can't find them in any tree. But they are cleaner and more conforming to the
Linux Kernel style than what's currently in git.