Problem with the current EDMA driver in the DaVinci GIT kernel

Tivy, Robert rtivy at ti.com
Wed Aug 26 22:24:49 CDT 2009

It seems that arriving at a consensus for reserved channels isn't going to be easy.

I'd like to suggest a scheme involving some sort of driver-controlled unlocking of reserved channels, intended to be used late in the EDMA acquisition timeline.  The LinuxUtils EDMA driver has a strong need for EDMA_ANY type of allocation, to support memory-to-memory transfers by codecs, mostly.  It could call a kernel API when it's first open()'ed, that tells the EDMA driver to transfer all unallocated reserved channels over to the EDMA_ANY bitmask.  Most EDMA allocations will have already happened at that point, and even if more fixed-channel request are coming, there's more than a small chance that it will still be available (not picked for an EDMA_ANY request).  There could be a "priority" to the EDMA_ANY acquisition, whereby certain reserved channels are deemed to be more or less likely to be requested later on, affecting how soon a channel is chosen for EDMA_ANY.

There could also be an API for a driver to request that a certain channel not be allowed to be transferred to the EDMA_ANY list, or some sort of a notification of future usage.

It would be nice to also solve the issue of "raw" EDMA usage through mmap()'ing the EDMA register set and directly writing registers.  Perhaps the /dev/mem driver can intercept these requests and somehow negotiate or control access to those registers (I'm just tossing this out there with not much idea of how to solve it).

Regards,

- Rob